The Linden Fund USA Guyana Inc has launched The Grow Up Agricultural Internship Programme, geared towards matching tertiary students who are highly motivated and qualified in agricultural science or related areas with experiences that allow for holistic learning with respect to farm management. This paid internship is intended to last for four to eight weeks. Only residents of Region 10 are allowed to apply.
Through the programme, students will be linked to commercial farms within the region and be engaged in all aspects of farm management, including crop and livestock management, pest management, sales and marketing, business planning etc. “The main goal is to provide successful candidates with an opportunity to match theoretical knowledge with practical exposure while providing technical support to local farms to increase the overall agricultural productivity of the region,” a statement from LFU outlined.
The two-month time period runs concurrently to holiday breaks at tertiary institutions. Each intern is expected to be present full-time (40 hours per week). Students who are enrolled in an undergraduate degree programme may apply online at Economic Development Program | Linden Fund. Other requirements for applicants include the following:
- Second- or third-year student enrolled in a degree, diploma or certificate programme at the time of the internship (agricultural sciences and related fields)
- At least 18 years old
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above
- Commit to full duration of the programme
- Excellent command of English (both written and spoken)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications